Sunday, November 14, 2010

Shelley Duvall's Faerie Tale Theatre: The Frog Prince

Ahhh Faerie Tale Theatre. The Disney alternative of my childhood--that paragon of parable, that which probably kept me from believing fairy tales were all about princesses falling in love and little else.

I do love Faerie Tale Theatre, in spite of somewhat dated special effects and an occasional tendency to go for the slapstick comedy. Having said that... The Frog Prince, the first installment in the series, is probably one of my least favorite. As I watch it now, as an adult, I can't help but feel that Robin Williams is just imitating himself. Weird but true.

Aside from that, it's a straightforward re-telling of the story: Princess drops ball in well, frog retrieves ball, Princess goes back on word, father reinforces, Princess throws frog: Ta da! Prince!

This episode suffers from the problem that a lot of the simpler tales in the series do: there's just not enough material and the series is rarely successful in stretching the stories to fit the hour time slot.

However, you can watch it for free on hulu (at least if you're in the U.S.), and the collection is selling for a decent price on amazon.com these days.


(I've chosen to review all the Faerie Tale Theatre episodes separately because they vary so much and cover so many different stories. Also: reading/watching the material for this blog takes a lot of time! I hope you enjoy the slightly more in depth reviews this way.)

No comments:

Post a Comment