Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Midnight Magic by Amy Gordon

One of the few other stories I've found up with that makes use of the Puss in Boots without just being a retelling of the story is Amy Gordon's Midnight Magic.

Midnight Magic

I found the book to be pretty simplistic, aiming for a gradeschool age range. It was a cute story and I'm sure kids would like it, especially if they like Puss in Boots. I did like the way they imagined the ogre's point of view and what had he ever done to deserve that--certainly in early versions of the story it's simply that he's an ogre and he's claiming a lord's title, although in later versions they make him something of a terrorist. My sympathies still fall firmly on the side of Puss, but it made for an interesting thought exercise as well as a cute story.

ttp://www.amyagordon.com/books.html


No comments:

Post a Comment