Monday, November 15, 2010

Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale

Shannon Hale has taken on one of the more obscure Grimm tales in this retelling of Maid Maleen. (Ever heard of it? I mean if you haven't already read Book of a Thousand Days....)

Hale has taken some creative liberty with the original tale, all for the best if you ask me. It's a strange tale... Anyway, she's set the story in a fantasy land inspired by the Asian steppes, and gives her characters the normal rich treatment I have come to expect from her work. As is typical for Hale, the story is satisfying and unexpected.

You can read sample chapters from this and most of her books at her wonderful website, which also features her wonderful and fascinating blog.


1 comment:

  1. I've had my eye on this book for quite some time. Perhaps some day I'll read it. :P

    ReplyDelete