Monday, October 18, 2010

Tam Lin by Tricky Pixie

I can listen to SJ Tucker for days on end without tiring of her mystical voice. So although I generally stay away from musical media, I can't pass up the opportunity to point out a bit of her work.

Together with Alexander James Adams and Betsy Tinney (Tricky Pixie), she's tackled the ballad of Tam Lin in, as they put it, their attempt to "bring sexy back to this Scottish ballad."

I was previously aware of the story, and although I haven't read many adaptations, I know they're out there. This deep, dark, haunting song brought it to the forefront of my attention. The steady rhythm, threatening tone, and beautiful blend of voices has completely captivated me--I can listen to this one song over and over.

Please, for your own sake, check out this song -- and if you like it, check out the rest of SJ Tucker's work, which is as full of mythology and folklore as any artist you'll find.

3 comments:

  1. Love SJ Tucker! I'll have to check this one out, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am completely addicted to her voice! Tricky Pixie is also very listenable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should check out An Earthly Knight by Janet McNaughton. A very good retelling of the Tam Lin story.

    ReplyDelete