Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Godmother by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough



I was pretty impressed by how well the fairy tales fit into modern Seattle, and I enjoyed the themes the main character, Rose, pulled out of the book of fairy tales. I won't go into details, but I will say that Cinderella, Snow White, Hanzel and Gretel, Bluebeard, and Puss in Boots all make appearances of various kinds.

I felt like the book wrapped up a little too quickly, something like, "My, this is quite a word count I have! Time to end things!" However, upon consideration, I felt that kind of fit with the rush the characters themselves felt they were in, and to be fair, I did read the second half of the book in one big chunk, after taking several... weeks? to get through the first part. (I'm one of those people who is always reading about 20 books at once.)

In any case, I feel that if you enjoy fairy tales, you'd like this book.


2 comments:

  1. I remember reading this when you first told me about it. I only vaguely remember it, but I remember liking it. There are 2 follow ups/sequels that I didn't read yet. The second looks better than the first to me. Did you read either of them?

    I love your blog! It's one of my daily stops now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read them yet. They're on my list thought! :)

    Glad you're enjoying the blog! I'm having fun with it....

    ReplyDelete