Monday, March 7, 2011

Hoodwinked

With Warner Bros releasing their new Red Riding Hood movie, I thought I'd take this week to look at some of the previous versions of Little Red in film.

Hoodwinked is my favorite Little Red Riding Hood version. I am not a huge fan of the tale: it's awfully overdone. When people think "fairy tale" they inevitably think Little Red Riding Hood (and Hansel and Gretel) and, as there are SO MANY more fairy tales, a snob--I mean, aficionado--like me gets a little tired of little Red.

However, this version is extremely fun. With 4 retellings within this one movie (from 4 different perspectives), a jolt of action, a dab of music, and a solid plot, this is fast-paced and interesting all the way through. Talented voice acting from Anne Hathaway, Glenn Close, James Belushi, and Patrick Warburton rounds out the movie.

The main thing I have heard people complain about is the animation, and I have some friends who really didn't like it because of the more simple computer animation. Which in my mind completely misses the point. You can have the most stunning animation ever, but if you don't have an interesting plot, the movie isn't going to stick in my mind as a favorite. (I am looking at you, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within)

Hoodwinked has everything I want in a fairy tale film: references, twists, and humor.

You can watch the original trailer here:


And great news, for Hoodwinked fans: after a long and drawn out legal issue, Hoodwinked 2 is finally on the radar! I am excited to see this one, too.



No comments:

Post a Comment