Saturday, September 18, 2010

Capt. Hook: Adventures of a Notorious Youth by J.V. Hart

I just finished reading Capt. Hook: The Adventures of a Notorious Youth, by J.V. Hart, which I recommend for Peter Pan fans.

Capt Hook

I thought Hart did well mimicking the voice/tone of JM Barrie... the language was similar and evocative of Peter Pan. He pulled in a lot of familiar phrases: "an awfully big adventure," "good form," phrases that I associate with Peter Pan, as well as references to a second star to the right (of a particular constellation), and a vivid image of an island that appeared before the eyelids as they were closing.

Even more impressive was Hart's ability to make Hook, or James/Jas., sympathetic without taking away his essential villainous nature. He's a bit of an underdog at the beginning of the story, but cunning and ambitious and absolutely willing to do whatever it takes to win. And although he isn't the totally evil Hook we've come to love to hate, the devilish beginnings of his career path are there.

I found about 3/4 of the way through the book things got a little tedious, but I felt obliged at that point to pick it up again, and then things turned around and picked up again, themselves. Also there were a few loose ends left open, and I didn't know if the author intends to write a sequel but he sure left himself space for one. I would probably check it out but maybe not at the top of my list of things to read.

In any case, I do recommend it for those of you who need more from JM Barrie's world. After all, what would the world be like without Captain Hook...?


No comments:

Post a Comment