Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Banned Books Week: King and King

Welcome to Banned Books Week on Fairy Layers! While not all of my selections are strictly fairy tale adaptations, I have made an effort to include books with fairy tales themes and tropes. All of the books selected for BBW (September 25th - October 2nd) have been banned or challenged for various reasons. I hope you enjoy!

This is one of the most ruthlessly objected to on my list, which I think is one of the saddest commentaries on our society. King and King, by Linda de Haan, has made the top ten banned books almost every year for the past decade.


This is the simple story of a prince whose time has come: his mother demands that he get married. After several unsatisfactory princesses show up, Princess Madeleine appears with her brother, Prince Lee, and finally the young prince shows an interest--in, as you'll have guessed by now, Prince Lee. (But don't worry, the princess makes off with the page boy, and everyone lives happily ever after!)

I remember reading this and thinking, "Aww, nice." I wasn't overly impressed with the artwork, but it's cheerful and bright. Of course, that's not why it gets banned.

Spare yourself the homophobic amazon.com 1 star reviews, please. They are altogether too depressing to read. That's right, I am banning them.


1 comment:

  1. I love yoooou. And this makes me do so EVEN MORE.

    ReplyDelete