Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Never Cry Werewolf by Heather Davis

Never Cry Werewolf

I got a kick out of Heather Davis's Never Cry Werewolf, a twisted Red Riding Hood variant that self-acknowledges its origins. When Shelby gets sent to a "brat camp" for the summer in response to her inclination to act up and spend more time on boys than homework, she almost immediately begins helping out another guy, without worrying about the consequences to herself. But maybe this time she should worry about herself, as there's much more to Austin than is immediately apparent.

The tone of this book was light and funny. I think part of why I liked it was all of the heavy vampire melodrama we're seeing in the media these days -- this book was refreshingly amusing and werewolf-centric. The story is mainly a teen romance, but without the bogged-down overemotional angst of a lot of the current teen romance genre. My main problem with the book, in fact, was that it was such a quick read -- I wouldn't have minded going into a little more depth about the characters and their time together.

Check out more about Heather Davis at her website. She's got another book out, which doesn't seem to be as fairy tale oriented, but I liked this one enough to put it on my to-be-read list!

No comments:

Post a Comment